Monday 30 July 2012

Stone

Recently I've had an idea for a stone age game in my head. A few years ago, I wrote a lovely little story about a hunter gatherer tribesman called Stone, and since then the idea has been flickering on and off in my mind.

Then today I read something about the Hyperborean Cycle by Clark Ashton Smith, and it flickered back to life again.

I've some ideas of how it would work in a D&D 3E game, replacing the standard Fighter/Wizard/Rogue/Cleric setup with Barbarian/Sorcerer/Ranger/Druid (although I'm not so happy about the Ranger there. Maybe replace it with Monk?)
After that, throw in a bunch of dinosaurs, hairy mammals and monsters, maybe a Dire Giraffe or two, and you have yourself a setting and some rules. But I'm not sure how it would translate to other rules sets.

I'm pretty sure I could throw together something using FATE, since lifting from Legends of Anglerre for something like this wouldn't be too difficult. Neither would most generic d10 or d20 based games.
I'm toying with the idea of writing a brief for my own rules, since I'm now trying to throw them around different settings and see how they break apart.

I'd be very tempted to do something with the 1E Legend of the 5 Rings rules. I know them better than the newer editions, and they're pretty simple for everyday messing about. Plus, an elemental system for characters fits nicely with the setting, though I might switch about or simplify some of the character terms about a bit. Would I need to fiddle Status and Honour at all?

Would you play in a stone age setting? Have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...